My favorite books--the ones that affect me and change me and pull me closer to the heart of God--are books like The Yes Effect by Luis Bush with Darcy Wiley. The stories and ideas are both powerful and practical. They inspire God possibilities for everyday people like me.
This is a blog of yes. From my first post: Journey of Yes. To the start of the Epic Beginner blog series: Say Yes. So I knew from the moment I heard about it that I wanted to read and share this book my friend Darcy Wiley helped write.
Our yeses matter. It especially matters that we spend our yeses on the best in life--Jesus, people, and putting love in action for both. And that's just the sort of yes this book inspires.
Books like this just beg to be discussed with a small group, journaled through on your own, or a combination of the two. The Yes Effect (aff. link; see full note below*) is not just a book of good stories, it's a book to spur action--a change of heart that effects a change of life.
Thankfully, Luis and Darcy concluded each chapter with thoughtful questions to do just that. Invite a few friends to go through the book with you, or pull out a notebook to reflect on the content and action ideas yourself. I compiled a few quotes and corresponding questions below to get you started.
Quotes + Questions from The Yes Effect
Following are some of my favorite quotes and corresponding questions from The Yes Effect by Luis Bush with Darcy Wiley. Use these as you go through the book yourself or to go through the concepts from the book with a small group. (Find this list in printable form below.)
The bold headlines are chapters from the book; quotes used with permission, see copyright information below.
1. Follow Your Leaders"Listen for God's invitation to join His transforming work in the world around you. And be ready to say yes." (p. 38)
Who impacted you with the Gospel? Whose words or ministry influences or inspires you?
2. Open Your HeartResist "flitting from one thing to another and becoming desensitized to the most dire needs around us." (p. 55)
What one outside need brought a strong response in you recently? Write or sketch what captures your heart for that situation.
3. Fix Your Eyes"Imagine if we became more overwhelmed by the presence of God than by the worries of the world." (p. 78)
Carve out a few minutes to pray about the needs that burden you. What is God bringing to your mind or pressing into your heart?
4. Move Your Feet"Your response to God's daily invitations will determine how much of His renewing work in the world you will get to see. ... it's your turn to do something, to get on your feet and see what happens." (p. 101)
Where is God inviting you today?
5. Find Your People"We do our part, other people do theirs, and God causes the increase." (p. 121)
List the gifts, skills, and resources God gave you. Meet with someone already connected to the situation on your heart to discuss the needs and your possible contribution.
6. Stand Your Ground"If we focus on the joy set before us, our faith and work will be more informed by the good ahead than the gloom here and now." (p. 141)
What resistance, internal or external, are you facing in your effort to help others?
7. Celebrate Your Chain ReactionGod "gives us an invitation to look back on what He has accomplished in and around us" to renew our vigor. (p. 164)
Have you experienced Jesus personally? Has he moved you to act in faith or share your faith?
8. Lead Your FollowersWe have the privilege of walking alongside young people, "helping them grow in the Lord and say yes" to their own invitations. (p. 188)
What youth has God placed in your care or influence? How might you intentionally mentor them?
For more of The Yes Effect:
- Print the above "unofficial book guide" for The Yes Effect to use yourself or with a small group.
- Listen to Darcy share some of the behind-the-scenes of writing The Yes Effect on the Devoted Dreamers Podcast.
- Get your own copy of The Yes Effect to fully dive into the stories and ideas.
- January 29-March 31, 2018 - Join The Yes Effect Book Club on Facebook!
What yes is God leading you to or reaffirming in you?
new? start here...
*Note: affiliate links used. Purchases made through these links could earn me a small commission with no extra cost to you. Thank you!